Sunday, February 15, 2009

Day 0

I am starting this blog to keep track of my attempts to stick closely to a fitness plan for the next 90 days, starting tomorrow.

Some basic information about me: I am female, currently 36 years old, and a vegan. My primary physical activity is roller derby, but I also ride my bike to work a few days a week (the days I don't have derby practice) and am planning to get back to lifting weights regularly during this time.

Here is my basic plan for the week.

Monday:
Ride bike to work*
Lift weights**

Tuesday:
Roller derby practice (2 hrs)

Wednesday:
Ride bike to work

Thursday:
Roller derby practice (1.5 hrs)

Friday:
Ride bike to work
Lift weights

Saturday:
Rest
or
Roller derby practice (2 hrs)

Sunday:
Roller derby practice (3 hrs)

*My ride to work is 7 mi/11 km each way, so a total of 14 mi/22 km each day I cycle in. It takes about 45 min each way, which is a pretty slow average pace, but it's in the city and I stop and wait at red lights, so that makes it slower than a normal bike ride. I do try to push myself when I am moving.

**I have two different weight routines I'll alternate between. Day one is front squat (I'd love to do regular back squat but have no rack), stiff-legged deadlift, barbell bench press, barbell overhead, barbell bent-over row, lat pulldowns. Day two is deadlift, dumbbell bench press, dumbbell military press, one-arm dumbbell row, and lat pulldown. For now I will do a single set of each exercise, aiming for 12 reps and increasing the weight each time I am able to do 12 reps.

It is unlikely that I will attend every single derby practice, but I will try to attend as many as I can.

I also have the problem that if I don't go to work on a Mon/Wed/Fri, then I miss out on the bike ride.

I am also planning to try to clean up my diet. I am going to start most days with a smoothie (water, Vega powder, spinach, pear, apple, banana, and sometimes oats if I want a bit more bulk to it). I will eat more salads (at least a few a week) with a protein source like tofu or beans. And my lunches should be somewhat healthful dishes based on legumes, veg, and whole grain.

I am going to blog every single day about my exercise and food, even if I haven't done so well at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment